Sunday 13 February 2011

Stevie Lange

Those of us may well remember a TV commercial in around 1980-81 for a deodorant called Limara. Of course the brand of deodorant is long gone but the music from the ad lives on as it was releasd as a full single under the title Remember My Name in 1981.

It was performed by Stevie Lange who in the late seventies and early eighties was a big name on the session circuit singing on albums by the likes of Manfred Mann's Earthband amongst many others. It was here that she met Chris Thompson who was the then singer with the Earthband and shortly after Chris left the Earthband he and a few other like minded individuals including Stevie Lange got together under the name of Filthy McNasty.

This band would go on to be called Night and sign a deal with American record producer Richard Perry's record label Planet records. They had a pretty big hit single in the American charts which Stevie sang on called Hot Summer Nights and their debut self titled album also charted. The band could also cut it live as they proved on a tour supporting the Doobie Brothers.

Both the Self Titled Night album and its follow up Long Distance are being reissued shortly with bonus tracks and sleeve notes by yours truly.

The reason I am writing this is because we actually feature Stevie's single Remember My Name from the aforementioned Limara commercial in our playlist and of course we will be featuring Hot Summer Nights as soon as the Night Album is reissued.

The reason I am compelled to write all this is because I have just been listening to Stevie on the single on CRR and I have to say she had an incredible voice (I assume she still does) . Check it out sometime by requesting it and you will see what I mean.

2 comments:

  1. I had forgotten I have this song on a compilation cd I got in Germany or USA, thank you for reminding me about the track, I hope we will hear more of it on CRR as it's such a powerful one!

    ReplyDelete