Thursday 17 October 2013

Uncle G Talks 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

An old saying; “the early bird catches the worm.” Well it just so happens that I was awake in the wee hours of October 16th, when on the Internet I first came across the good news. I found it on CNN Dot Com. Was totally floored. One of my favorite all time rock bands EVER, Yes, was actually on this years RnRHoF's long list. Is now officially being considered for induction. So that is where my FOCUS zoomed in on. It's all timing folks, for Classic Rock Radio Dot EU, on our official Facebook page, was one of the first (after CNN Dot Com reported it) classic rock stations to give our congratulations out to a real prog-rock giant; Yes. And screw everyone else. I acknowledged others nominated as well, but only in private comments made in and around Facebook Land. So today, I'd like to take the opportunity to say a few words about some of the others up against Yes, for only five off this long list, are chosen. I personally feel that Yes should have been inducted in whenever the first year they became eligible. Twenty-five years from the formation. That would have been when Yes was touring Talk (1994). If living in my version of a perfect world, then Yes will be inducted in, on their first time up to the plate. Long over-due if you ask me. A leader in the prog-rock field. A branch off general rock music where the often more talented musician can play to the best of his or her musical abilities, without limits or boundaries. That's the jest of it anyway.

The only 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominee I mentioned so far, is Yes. My apology to all the others recognized / nominated as well. In an effort to make up, here's my own personal acknowledgment to others who deserve a pat on the back as well.

  1. Deep Purple – Only in my excitement for Yes, did I temporary forget about this all-time great rock band. Another group that is long over-due the prestige that comes with being able to say they are a member in good standing with the RnRHoF folks. Not that Deep Purple needs any help when it comes to selling their brand of bluesy, groovy, hard rockin' sound. I'd admit them into the hall just based on their early career itself, with their album Machine Head being a prime example why. To this day they kick ass in concert, and on whatever new studio music they come out with.
  2. Peter Gabriel – Has been consistently putting out a unique sound, since his days with Genesis. His solo career not as long established when compared with the just mentioned Deep Purple, or Yes. I not only see his induction as an acknowledgment to the genesis of Mr Gabriel, but those players who joined in helping him as well; Tony Levin, and Steve Hunter (just to name a couple players who accompanied Gabriel over the decades)
  3. Kiss – It does not matter what you opinion is, NEVER underestimate the KISS ARMY. These people are DEDICATED and will vote for who they think, rules the rock world. I recently saw the current Kiss line-up in a performance that was aired on Dish TV. Was a solid show. Around since the Nineteen Seventies, this band paid it dues. Sure would be interesting to see the four originals on the same stage again. Another rock act covered in DRAMA. This one hates this one and that one hates that one. Another rock marriage that fell apart years ago. Simmons and Stanley have done a super job keeping it fresh, and going...and going...and going. In 2008 Peter Criss had / beat breast cancer...oh my. He was successfully treated with a lumpectomy. Is said to be living in a town I also stayed in during my youth; Wall Township New Jersey.
  4. Nirvana – They should at one time be inducted, but NOT before others before them that deserves it as well.
  5. Linda Ronstadt – One of my columns this year an update on Linda. In the news recently was a story about her suffering with Parkinson's disease and not being able to sing anymore. How sad is that? I was never a huge fan. I only own one CD that she's on (Chuck Berry). I grew up listening to her music because they would sandwich it between other songs I liked, when listening to the radio. Back in the Nineteen Seventies. I think I know her every hit. Automatically gets my sympathy vote.

For those who are unaware, those get inducted by popular vote. Below please find instructions on how to do so correctly. Make it count !!

To VOTE for the 2014 Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame inductees, please click the following OFFICIAL RnRHoF website link:

http://www.rockhall.com/get-involved/interact/poll/

Uncle G's suggested FIVE Votes / Predictions

  1. Yes
  2. Deep Purple
  3. Kiss
  4. Peter Gabriel
  5. Linda Ronstadt


In good sportsman’s fashion, I wish all nominated the best. Voting is open till December 10th 2013.

The 29th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will be held in April 2014 in New York. Imagine being able to sit in the audience. And with Uncle G's picks all comin' in...what a fine induction show that would be.

Images: Besides the cool looking Roger Dean Yes Logo, the other is of a photo of Yes' ex-lead singer Jon Anderson. Taken by my lovely wife Alexandra in Dallas Texas (28 Feb 2013).

Gary Brown
American Corespondent for Classic Rock Radio Dot EU


No comments:

Post a Comment